The glazing on my current batch of soup bowls flopped. The new white is gorgeous. But the Tea Dust went on too thin and came out a weird brown.

Nothing motivates me more than failure.

Two days, two bags of Coleman porcelain and thirty soup/cereal bowls later. I have set myself up for trimming hell today and on Monday.

The offending bowls were put into immediate use at home and I can report that they work well with a soup of organic, chunky red miso, kale and mushrooms.

Another non-success. Walter Ivan Heath sent me a beautiful tea bowl glazed with his smooth and silky purple and his cone 6 oil spot.


I’ve been trying, so far in vain, to produce a response, glazed with my new and yet unfamiliar alberta slip oil spot. Last time the glaze bubbled too much, as oil spots do when they have too much iron or go on too thick. This time I added just 2% iron instead of 3% and the glaze came out darker and perfect. But the tea cup had been trimmed with some zeal and has become very wabi sabi in the firing, developing a pronounced sideways slump.


Back to the drawing board… the problem is, I’m out of tea bowls and indeed, out of bisque generally, being focussed on full-on production for the #EastSideCultureCrawl at the #OldFoundry building and for #MakeItVancouver at the PNE. I’ve kept back a bisqued mug, knowing that this bowl may slump, but it has too much of a shape for oil spots – bold throwing lines and all that – more of a celadon type mug.

It’s the things that you care most about that are the hardest to produce.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s